M.Soc.Sc Social Science Research – Gender Studies
This Social Science Research – Gender Studies programme at Tampere University gathers students and faculty broadly from social sciences, humanities and arts to develop innovative ways of expanding knowledge on gender, sexuality and racialisation in local, historical, cross-cultural and transnational contexts.
|Full-time Duration:||2 years|
|Starting in:||1st of August 2021|
|Tuition Fee:||€ 10,000/year|
|Location:||Central Campus, Tampere, Finland|
The studies engage you with wide-ranging and interdisciplinary traditions in gender studies, including feminist, queer, trans and antiracist studies.
In the Social Science Research – Gender Studies programme at Tampere University, you will obtain both theoretical and methodological tools to understand and analyse how gender, sexuality and racialisation shape societies and cultures; how inequalities can be observed and tackled in different societal spheres, including, for instance, institutions and politics, workplaces, everyday life, intimate relations, media and the arts. You will familiarise yourself with cutting-edge research from this exciting and growing area of study.
- Advanced Studies on Gender (80 ECTS) form the core of the degree. They enable the students to acquire in-depth theoretical, methodological and conceptual knowledge in Gender Studies. The studies include a Master’s thesis (40 ECTS) which is an individual research project that enables the student to demonstrate his/her in-depth knowledge in an area relevant to the content of this specialization.
- General Studies (10 ECTS) focus on general orientation to studies, language studies and academic writing skills.
- Studies on Global Society (20 ECTS) include research methods and thematic courses within the
- Master’s Programme in Global Society.
- Free Choice Studies (10 ECTS)
“After the first year which includes a lot of mandatory courses, I could choose the courses I wanted to take more freely.“
Lumi // China // Master’s degree programme in Comparative Studies of Social Policy and Welfare
Gender Studies is especially suited for students aiming at careers in national and international research, politics, equal opportunities policies and human rights institutions and organisations in the private and public sectors as well as in non-governmental organisations and civil society, and the media. Gender Studies teaches written and oral communication skills, collaborative work skills and skills to critically examine power relationships.